– AMRAP: As Many Rounds (or Reps) as Possible
– BS: Back Squat
– BW or BWT: Body Weight
– CFT: CrossFit Total (1RM of Bench Press, Deadlift, Backsquat)
– CF: CrossFit
– CFHQ: CrossFit Headquarters
– CFWU: CrossFit Warm-up
– CGBP: Close grip bench press
– Chipper: 4 or more movements in a work out
– CLN: Clean
– C&J: Clean and jerk
– C2: Concept II Rowing Machine
– Couplet: two movements
– DL: Deadlift
– DNF: Did Not Finish
– ERG: usually referring to the rowing machine or ski machine
– EMOM: Every Minute on the Minute
– FS: Front Squat
– GHD: Glute Ham Developer
– GPP: General Physical Preparedness (fitness)
– Gymnastics: movements that involve body weight
– HC: Hang Clean
– HPC: Hang Power Clean
– HS: Hang Snatch
– HPS: Hang Power Snatch
– HSPU: Hand Stand Push-Up
– HSC: Hang Squat Clean
– KB: Kettlebell
– KTE: Knees to Elbows. (Scale for Toes to Bar)
– MetCon: The Metabolic Conditioning of the WOD that combines strength movements and skill movements for time.
– MU: Muscle-Ups
– Monostructural: Cyclical activity with locomotion, otherwise things known traditionally as “cardio”
– OHS: Overhead Squat
– PC: Power Clean
– Pd: Pood, Russian unit of measurement; roughly 36lbs. Often described with kettlebells.
– PR: Personal Record
– PP: Push Press
– PJ: Push Jerk
– PSN: Power Snatch
– PU: Pull-Ups, possibly push-ups depending on the context
– Rep: Repetition. One performance of an exercise.
– Rx’d; as Rx’d: As prescribed; as written. WOD done without any adjustments or scaling.
– RM: Repetition Maximum. Your 1RM is your max lift for one rep. Your 10 RM is the most you can lift 10 times. (Commonly found in WOD’s as 1RM/3RM/5RM etc.)
– SC: Squat Clean
– SDHP: Sumo Deadlift High Pull
– Single Modality: one movement
– SLDL: Single Leg Deadlift
– Set: A number of repetitions. e.g., 3 sets of 10 reps, often seen as 3×10, means do 10 reps, rest, repeat, rest, repeat.
– SN: Snatch
– SQ: Squat
– Task Priority: Workout format where task is set, score is time i.e. 21, 15, 9 rounds for time
– TGU: Turkish Get-Up
– Time Priority: Workout format where time is set, score is work i.e. AMRAP
– TTB: Toes to Bar
– Triplett: three movements
– Weightlifting: you plus any external load
– WOD: Workout of the Day. This most well-known acronym in CrossFit, which is typically divided into three segments: a strength building activity (i.e. deadlifts), a skill building activity (i.e. jumping rope) and a MetCon i.e. combining strength and skill activities for time.
– lb or # : Symbol for Lbs. or Pounds
– ” : Symbol for Inches
– The “Girls”: A series of benchmark workouts created by CFHQ that are universally known among the CF community.
– The “Heroes”: A Hero workout is a tribute workout in honor of a fallen CrossFitter (either Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, Firefighter, Police officer) that died in the line of duty. They are tough and among the most difficult of WOD’s.
– Tabata Interval: A workout of 8 intervals alternating 20 seconds of max rep work with 10 seconds of rest. Total is 4 minutes per exercise. Score the lowest interval rep count.
– Paleo: A type of diet; Plants and animals, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch no sugar.
– Zone: A basic unit of nutrient measurement into a block (1 block= 9g. carbs, 7g. protein, 3 g. fat)