How to do a Squat Clean to increase your strength and improve your performance in CrossFit WODS.
Set up for a Squat Clean
- Begin with your heels hip width apart.
- Bar is on the ground and hands are in a hook grip just outside of your shins.
- Shoulders are at or just over the bar.
- Back is flat and tight.
- Chest is up.
- Core is tight.
- Weight is in balls of feet.
Points of Performance for a Squat Clean
- Push your knees back as you stand the bar up from the ground, keeping the hips and shoulders rising at the same rate.
- From the mid thigh, pull the bar into the body and aggressively jump, extending the hips, knees, and ankles (triple extension).
- With a big shrug of the shoulders, elbows come high and outside the bar then back around while pulling yourself under to receive the weight.
- Receive the bar in a full front squat so that it rests on the shoulders with the elbows up.
- The bottom of the squat is with the crease of the hip below the knee.
- Drive through the heels back to a standing position.
- The clean is completed when the knees and hips are fully locked out and open at the top.
Tips and Tricks
- Think about driving through your heels.
- Speed under the bar is the key.
- The power from this lift is initiated in the hips.
- Think about 2 speeds; slow and controlled off the ground, and explosive from the top of the knees to the hips.
- One continuous pull from the ground to shoulders.
- Stopping or hesitating at any point in the lift is only going to stunt the momentum created from the floor.
- Pull with long arms.
- An early arm bend will only dampen momentum created from the floor.
Leave A Comment