How to do a Kettlebell Swing (KBS) to improve your performance in CrossFit WODs.
Set up for Kettlebell Swing
- With heels just outside hips and knees slightly bent
- Shoulders back and down
- Back is flat and chest up
- Pick up the kettlebell in a standard wrapped thumb grip and return to your original standing position
Points of Performance for Kettlebell Swing
- Push the hips back and fold just low enough for the kettle bell to clear the body as it swings between the legs.
- The forearm and wrist come in contact with the quads on the back swing
- Aggressively open the hip squeezing the legs and butt as you stand. This sends the kettle bell up as the arms guide it overhead
- The rep is completed when the kettle bell is straight overhead with full lockout of the elbows, hips, and knees
- Allow the kettle bell to swing back through receiving it with the slightly closed hip and dynamically send it right back overhead to string multiple reps
Tips and Tricks
- The arms and shoulders should only play a minimal role in the swing with the power coming from the hips
- Do not allow the kettle bell to pull you down and forward. Keep this movement in the hips and do not allow your lower back to take the majority of the load
Leave A Comment