How to do a Thruster to increase your strength and improve your performance in CrossFit WODS.
Set up for the Thruster
- Combing the front squat and overhead press, clean or power clean your barbell into your front rack.
- Begin with the feet shoulder width apart in the squat stance.
- Hands slightly outside the shoulder, with the elbows up high and parallel to the ground.
Points of Performance for the Thruster
- Descend down into a full front squat with the crease of the hip below the knee.
- Keeping the elbows up, drive through your heels, aggressively extending the hips and knees.
- At full extension, press the bar overhead to complete the rep.
- Rep is completed when the hips and knees and elbows are all fully open and locked out with the bar over the center of the body.
Tips and Tricks for the Thruster
- An aggressive opening of the hip will send the bar weightless from your front rack overhead.
- Maintaining a tight core and elbows high in the bottom of the squat will prevent the bar from pulling you forward and down. This is a more efficient movement.